Reproductive Health Services
- Because of a Supreme Court decision on June 24th, 2022, abortion is now totally illegal in Alabama.
- Click on clinics in nearby states to find abortion care near you.
Reproductive Health Services abortion clinic in Montgomery, Alabama
Reproductive Health Services (“RHS”) opened in September of 1978 and was one of the first clinics to provide abortion services and reproductive health care in the state of Alabama.
Alabama state law requires women seeking an abortion to receive state mandated information at least 48 hours before their abortion. Because of this state mandated 48 hour waiting period, you will need to schedule 2 appointments at our center.
Early Surgical Abortion with local anesthesia:
- Under 11 weeks, 6 days
- 12 weeks to 12 weeks, 6 days
- 13 weeks to 13 weeks, 6 days
- 14 weeks to 14 weeks, 4 days
If you are you a minor (under the age of 18 years old) click here.
Reproductive Health Services is licensed by the Alabama State Health Department and is a current member of the National Abortion Federation.
Our staff includes board eligible and/or certified OB/GYN physicians, OB/GYN Nurse Practitioners, RNs, LPNs, counselors and related support personnel dedicated to providing the highest quality care.
At your 1st visit
We will perform a pregnancy test, ultrasound and lab work at the time of your 1st visit. This visit should take about an hour.
There will be a required $150 fee at your first visit. However, it WILL be applied toward your total abortion care fees at your 2nd visit.
Please note: We accept cash, Visa, MasterCard, Money Orders, and Cashier’s Checks ONLY. We do not accept personal checks, Discover, or American Express.
On the day of your scheduled abortion
- You may have a light breakfast, if you feel like eating that morning
- Plan to be here between 4-6 hours
- You will be given a sedative, therefore, you are required to have someone with you, that can drive you home.
- Bring a state-issued ID or passport. Official IDs issued outside of Alabama and outside of the US are also acceptable. Any guest (partner, parent, friend, or guardian) must have an ID to enter the building.
- Wear comfortable clothes that you can easily remove
- Bring a light cover up or sweater
- Bring or wear socks
- Wear underwear/panties that can support a menstrual pad (no thongs)
- Books, needlepoint, or puzzles to pass the time more quickly
Items not allowed in our center
For the privacy and security of all our patients and staff we do not allow the following:
- Bags / Backpacks
What to expect before your procedure
Once you arrive at the clinic we will complete your admission process, review your records and collect the balance of your fee.
After your vital signs will be assessed and preoperative medications will be given. You will receive a mild sedative and a medication to relieve cramping.
When you are in the procedure room, the doctor will perform a pelvic exam, and then administer the local anesthetic. This medication is very similar to what the dentist uses to numb the area.
The uterus is emptied by using gentle suctioning and generally, takes 5-10 minutes. Some patients experience cramps similar to menstrual cramps. For most women these cramps are mild to moderate and only last a few minutes.
After your abortion, you will rest in our recovery area for as long as needed. After that, a recovery room staff will discharge you to your driver with follow-up care instructions and any medications.
Be sure to follow our aftercare instructions, take all of the medications as directed, and return for your follow-up examination within 2-3 weeks.
Avoid the following after your procedure
- Soaking in a hot tub or whirlpool
- Use of Tampons
- Sexual intercourse
Please call us if you have any questions or concerns at any time during this process or following your procedure.
Learn here about Fake Clinics – Crisis Pregnancy Centers